Thursday, May 1, 2014

We made it!

My first day back to work is over and I'm home with my girl, who is currently taking a post-dinner nap, as we speak!

I have to admit, putting her to bed last night and leaving the house this morning was tough. The drive to work was tough and walking into the school building was especially tough.

But, once the kids started rolling in around 8:30, and I saw those big smiles and heard the "Mrs. Hayes you're back!" screams, and saw kids literally running down the hall to hug me, I remembered why I was there in the first place. Those kids need me.

And yes, my daughter needs me, but those kids at school need me too. They need their sense of normalcy back. They need my rules and expectations and sometimes crazy mood swings (hey, I have been pregnant all school year!)

And I realized, this morning, that I need those kids too.

Because, unfortunately, the harsh reality is that I am now, and probably always will be, a working mother. And I need those kids. I need their hugs and their crazy stories and their funny looks. I need them to keep my mind off missing my baby. And that, they did.

Not only were the kids wonderful, but I was welcomed back with open arms today by my co-workers, who hugged me and told me I would be ok. My sweet daughter (who must have used her dad's debit card) sent me beautiful flowers. And I even had a parent throw me a surprise baby shower at lunch time, including gifts, pizza & donuts!

So, if I had to go back to work, I'd say this was the best way possible :)






No comments:

Post a Comment