Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A little perspective

Every day, when I get home from work, after washing dishes, planning dinner, doing laundry and taking the dog out, I sit down and turn on the computer. Bet ya can't guess what the first thing I check is... Facebook. Shocker, right?

Anyways, I find myself scrolling through news feeds, reading status updates and checking out mobile uploads. This time of year I see a lot of Christmas decorations and sweet family Christmas pictures. Now that I am past of my college years, I see less pictures of people drinking, going out and studying and more pictures of engagements, weddings and babies. It isn't unusual for me to log in and see a new couple getting married or announcing that they are pregnant. 

I remember a few years ago, when D and I had been dating a while. I had finally moved home and gotten a job. We started looking at houses. I wanted so badly to get engaged. We had looked at rings, but nothing was happening. We took a trip to Florida with some friends, and I remember being convinced it was going to happen then. But, there was nothing. Along came Christmas, New Years (which by the way was the day we officially started dating) and finally,Valentines Day - all of which passed with no ring in sight. As I got on Facebook throughout all these holidays, couple after couple were announcing their engagement. I remember feeling so heartbroken, so frustrated, but most of all, jealous.

D kept reminding me that other people don't matter. That the only thing that matters is us, and that I needed to be patient. And sure enough, a week after Valentines day, I finally got my diamond. And it was so worth the wait. It made our day special, because everyone else was not getting engaged on that random Tuesday night like we were. And D knew that all along. That was what he was waiting for. For our engagement to be special. To be different. To be a surprise. Which is exactly what it was after I had convinced myself that if it was going to happen, it would have happened during the holidays. 

As I find myself getting jealous of pictures on Facebook of beautiful new homes being purchased or growing families, I try to remind myself of this :

2 years ago, at this very moment, I was browsing Facebook, jealous of people that are where I am now in life- Happily married homeowners with full-time jobs and good friends & family. 

So, maybe, this time 2 years from now, I will be able to say the very same thing. That two years ago, I was sitting on Facebook jealous of others living my dream, and now, I am here living it. 

"Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind." - Buddha


No comments:

Post a Comment