Sunday, November 11, 2012

Home Sweet Home

My Hubby returned today from a 9 day hunting trip to North Dakota. He and some friends drove 25ish hours, with a dog, trailer and carry-all atop the Tahoe until they finally made it. D has talked for years about wanting to go to North Dakota on a duck hunting trip, so I was glad that he was finally able to go. Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't exactly thrilled he would be gone for 9 days, but I knew that this was something he has been wanting to do for a long time. So, off he went.

While he was gone, I realized a few things.

One thing I realized is that I can do it alone. I don't want to, ever, have to do it alone. But sometimes, it is nice to know that I can. I lived alone, without roomies, for one year before moving home. But, that was a very small place. I could see everything from the front door, so there wasn't much worry about who/what was in my house with me. I was also living in a house in someones's backyard, so neighbors were super close-by. Now, in this big (doesn't feel very big until my husband is gone) house, things are a bit scarier. I managed to make it the whole time without forcing my momma to spend the night with me, or venturing off to my parents' place for an unplanned sleepover (not to say I wasn't close a few times).

Another thing I realized is that I am just not the same without D around. Not in a bad way. Just not the same. I didn't look forward to coming home to an empty house the way I do when I know that D will be home too. I found myself looking for excuses to get out of the house and entertain myself. There is nothing like coming home at the end of a long day, especially when it is to him.

Lastly, I realized (yet again) how wonderful my friends and family are. I had friends offering to do dinner, drinks, sleepovers, etc. because they knew I would be pretty lonely. My sweet mom and dad offered for me to sleep at their place multiple times, and when my momma realized I couldn't leave my crazy dog un-cared for, she even offered to sleep here. I am constantly reminded of how lucky and blessed I am to have these awesome people in my life.

The last 9 days have definitely been an eye-opener.I knew I would miss him while he was gone, but geez! I missed the nightly conversation, the cuddles, the company and even that no-shave-November beard he has going. I am so glad my sweet hubs was able to take this trip of a lifetime, but I am even more glad he is home.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, be thankful you aren't in a NASCAR marriage =) Its nice to realize that you can when you have always thought you can't. Makes a big difference in what you can handle, given the situation. Enjoy your time together!

    ReplyDelete