Sunday, September 2, 2012

Here goes nothing...

I suppose there is no better way to start a blog than to explain the title: Pirates and Promises. If you know me, you know that these are two things that hold a lot of meaning in my life. So, let's start with the easy one: Pirates...

When I graduated high school, I had a tough decision to make: stay close to home and attend Elon University, or, move 3 hours away, and attend East Carolina University. I had no friends who planned on going to either university, so I knew I would be alone either way. The decision I made was one of the best in my life.

During my time at East Carolina, there were many football games attended, many beers drank, many nights without sleep, many hours spent studying and many friends made. Some of those friends, however, have turned into much more than typical college friends. They have turned into family. The time I spent in Greenville with these girls was like no other time in my life. I realized what it was like to have real friends. Friends who have seen you at your best and your absolute worst. Friends who did anything to help heal a heartache. Friends who knew you better than your family. Friends that truly were family. For this, I will always hold ECU, and my pirates, close to my heart. 


One of many Pirate tailgates


Beach Trip



Flip Cup team


This girl <3 


Caught in the rain...




Captain Hook.. He's a pirate... get it?? :)



Night at the Bell Tower


My boo!


Now, onto the promises...

There is no real explanation for this one. I have never been abandoned by a parent, or significant other, or experienced any kid of drastic heart break. If I had, at least there would be an explanation.  But, something about the word "promise", is so reassuring and soothing. I often cannot accept a simple "yes" for an answer. I need a "Yes, I promise". Don't ask me to explain further, because I really can't. It's just how it is for me. 

Last September, my husband made the ultimate promise to me. To love me, and cherish me, and honor me, all the days of our lives. He promised me this in front of all of our closest family and friends. What he didn't know, is that he has been doing those things for me since the day we met. He goes out of his way to help me, to make me happy, to prove his love for me. The promise we made to each other has held strong for (almost) one year now, and I look forward to seeing how it continues throughout our lives together. 


My handsome hubby




Promising to each other




First Dance






2 comments:

  1. Ok... I LOVE the title of this, LOVE this post, LOVE you. Can't wait to keep reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing a great job. I have never read a blog before so this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete